shows the characteristic medieval concentric layout, built around the
peak of a hill, it is situated
on the slopes of the homonymous mount. It already belonged to the
territory of Chiusi, and in 1703 it was annexed, together with
Savana, to Aldobrandeschi�s County,
founded by Gregorio VII ( Ildebrando of Savana ). In the beginning of
thirteenth century Ildebrando Aldobrandeschi subjected Cetona to
Orvieto�s rule, that continued till the half of fourteenth
century, when the centre was annexed to Perugia�s territory. In 1418
it was definitevly annexed to Sienese Republic. In 1556 the Grand Duke
of Tuscany, Cosimo I gave it, with the title of Marquisate, to
Chiappino Vitelli, which
settled into the medieval Fortress, built a lengthened
rectangular square (today Garibaldi Square ), placed there to
create a spectacular entrance to the ancient fortified village. In its
territory there is Camporsevoli, a castle contested by Orvieto
and by the Viscounts of Campiglia, passed in 1432 to the Piccolomini
and afterwards to Sienese Republic. On the outskirts of Camporsevoli
there is the village of Piazze, built in the last two centuries.
Cetona�s prehistory museum: The museum documents the phases of
human peopling since the middle Paleolith till the Bronze Age. Most of
the finds come from the area of Belverde. The exhibition of the
archaeological material is characterized by a detailed description of
the finds, through display panels, removable cards, dioramas and
Mount Cetona Archaeological - Naturalistic Park: In the territory of Belverde there are the main prehistoric settlements. Some of the caves which open on the travertine, can be visited: San Francesco�s Cave ( La grotta di San Francesco ), Walnut and hillock�s cave ( L�antro Della noce e del Poggetto ), Roe�s Shelter ( Il riparo del capriolo ). The caves, encircled by a luxuriant vegetation, are near the suggestive Franciscan Monastery of Santa Maria of Belverde, built in the fourteenth century.
The church, characterized by a particular structure composed by three superimposed halls, keeps fourteenth and fifteenth centuries frescos of Sienese School and some works by the painter from Orvieto Cola Petruccioli ( half of the fourteenth century ).
Mount Cetona prehistory Museum::
Phone Number: 0578/238004
Opening: 1st June /30th September
9 a.m./1 p.m. - 5 p.m. / 7 p.m.
Opening: 1st October/31st May
9.30 a.m. / 12.30 p.m.
Closed in the afternoon
Mount Cetona Archaeological Naturalistic Park:
Opening: 1st July/30th September-
9.30 a.m./12.30 p.m. 4 p.m. / 7.30 p.m.
Cretedisiena.com - Via di Totona 12 53045 Montepulciano Siena - P IVA 010075105201