Ever since Etruscan times, in the sixth century B.C., in Chianciano Terme there has been a salutary temple near Sillene spring, where some big bronze statues were kept. The numerous archaeological finds of last years, have brought to light some important testimonies dating back to the seventh century B.C..
This town was already famous for its thermal springs, in the Roman age, to the point that the doctor Antonio Musa advised them to the poet Orazio, which went there and benefited from them. In the Roman age luxury villas were built and equipped with thermal fittings, like those discovered near Mezzomiglio and in Camerelle. The informations about the early Middle Ages are scarce, even if the dedication of the Church of Sillene to Saint Michele Arcangelo, situated near a castle could suggest a Lombard foundation in the same place of the heathen temple.
The sources document a �castrum� near the town of Petroio, next to Saint Pietro�s Abbey, which today is not in existence yet. In the late twelfth century and in the early thirteenth century Chianciano was owned by Manenti Counts of Sarteano. In this period this town developed because of its favourable position near Via Francigena ( Francigena Road ) and it obtained some jurisdictional autonomy which culminated in 1287 in the promulgation of the Statutes. In the fourteenth century Chianciano was contested by Orvieto and Siena, until in 1347 it was annexed to Sienese Republic.
modern development of Chianciano Terme is due to the
exploitation of the numerous sources which, with their therapeutic
qualities, attract people to spend relaxant stays in the big
Archaeological Museum: Established in 1997, it keeps numerous Etruscan and Roman materials discovered in the territory of Chianciano, during last ten years. The exhibition is organized into thematic sections.
The section about Etruscan Necropolis is of great importance; here you can observe the funerary equipments composed by bronze furnishings, bucchero vases and arms, coming from an Etruscan prince�s tomb, dating back to the half of seventh century B.C. There is also the reconstruction of an Etruscan farm, intended for the wine production and conservation.
The fictile fronton of an eleventh century B.C. temple, discovered near the source of Fucoli, is very beautiful. From the Museum you can reach the tomb with painted ceiling in La Pedeta, Poggio Bacherina firm and the Mezzoriglio spa.
Collegiata Museum: It keeps some paintings and some sculptures of great interest. We indicate: a big � Crucified� ( dating back to XIVth century ) by Duccio di Buoninsegna�s School, a polyptych representing � The Madonna with her Baby and Saints � ( Madonna col Bambino e Santi) dating back to XIVth century, of Sienese school, painted by Maestro of Chianciano; a wooden statue representing La Madonna con Bambino, by a Nicola Pisano�s disciple. The museum furthermore shows numerous holy paraments and fittings.
Opening: Summer; all days except Monday
10 a.m./6.30 p.m. 1st October � 31st May
9.30 a.m. /12.30 p.m. closed in the afternoon
Opening: all days ( except Sunday and Monday )
10 a.m. / 12.30 p.m.- 3 p.m./6;30 p.m.
Alberghi - Agriturismo - Osterie - Terme - Itinerari
Fiere e sagre - Prodotti tipici - Turismo e Cultura
- Affittacamere - Dimore di campagna
Cretedisiena.com - Via di Totona 12 53045 Montepulciano Siena - P IVA 010075105201